发信人: usatravel (usatravel), 信区: MedicalCareer
标 题: A few suggestions on Observer
发信站: BBS 未名空间站 (Tue Jun 9 23:36:55 2009, 美东)
A few suggestions on Observer based on my experience.
Lots of 2010 Match applicants are doing OB. Here are some advice I think
might be helpful:
1. The ultimate goal is to get a great LOR. Do try your best to impress
your attending. Learning medical knowledge is not the priority here.
2. Find a nice attending who is most like to help you. Not just any
attending who takes an observer.
3. Be clear with your attending what you can do, what you can not do
during OB. Ask him directly at the very beginning whether you are allowed to read Pt’s chart, exam pt, etc.
4. Try to present patient case. If you are allowed in patient contact,
you should see the pt, collect history yourself; if you are not allowed, try to talk with the nice intern/resident, whether you can present a pt based on the info. Has been collected. You should form DDx, give your assessment and plan. Do practice beforehand, My MD boss (did her residency in MGH) told me she practiced more than 10 times for her 1st pt case presentation. For us CMG, it is essential to practice the pronunciation.
5. Volunteer to find the answer for any Qs raised during rounds.
Attending like to give literature search assignment to medical students. But if attending did not assign the task to particular student, you should volunteer. Do the literature search, go to Uptodate, Pubmed, …, find the answer, summarize it, Print it out along with the references, Give every team member a copy when rounding. Attending will appreciate your effort and your willingness to share.
6. About answering Qs. I donot try very hard to answer Qs, especially
there are students in the team. If no one knows the answer and you happen to know, answer it. Just do not act that you are showing off.
7. Provide help. I always ask everyone in the team if I can help doing
anything. They never let me do anything since I am not allowed to write on pt’s chart. But they appreciated my offering.
8. Bring candy, food occasionally.
9. Be nice to everyone including Nurse, case manager, social workers.
※ 来源:·WWW 未名空间站 海外: mitbbs.com 中国: mitbbs.cn·[FROM: 76.233.]