发信人: gzjcell (panic), 信区: MedicalCareer
标 题: my match advice （internal medicine )
发信站: BBS 未名空间站 (Sat May 23 12:17:12 2009)
The fact of my match:
- credential: 97/99/cs pass, all first attempt. GC, Grad,1990; 5 year
resident, clinical PHD (back in China, internal medicine); 6 years US
research, > 10 publication (trash paper). 4 lors all from US. 6 months
observership (private practice and hospital)
- Program application: 110; all internal medicine. all in the east coast. 50
% university based program; 50% community univ. affiliated program. Have no
inner or outer associate with any of the programs.
- Time: applied on Sep. 2th. got first interview invitation on Sep. 9th.
From then on, 1-2 invitations/wk, till the middle of Dec. No peak/flood
- Result: 17 interviews invitations; only 3 university programs; went
through 13 interviews, 2 prematch offers. matched to my top 1 program.
- Please apply as early as possible.
- For the letters, it is better to vivo your right to see them.
- It is better not wear a black suit. For ladies, it is better to wear skirt
- Smile, smile and smile!
- Be mature and confident.
- Do not lazy. Try to keep in touch with the programs after your interviews.
During rank season, some program who is interested to you will send you
emails with positive gestures.
- If you want a prematch, let the program know and try your best to get it,
otherwise try to let them rank you high on their list and not bring yourself
a prematch that you don't want.
- If you have the opportunity to be interviewed by a Chinese, you are lucky.
They are very nice and willing to help you.
- It is easy to tell if the interviewer like you or not if they are female.
- After the interview or on site, if you hear something like "you will do
fine in our program, I like you, you are strong candidate, any program will
be happy to have you....", it definitely is a good sign.
- Your interview preferment will get better and better as time goes by, so
try not to schedule your important interview at the beginning of the
- Show your fellowship interests, lots of internal medicine programs like
their residents going for fellowship. It make them look good.
- Most of the time your feeling is right, but sometimes your feeling is
wrong, so be smart.
- It is not wise to schedule your interview around Christmas and New Year
time, most of them are busy with their vacations.
- At the beginning it is hard to know what is your chance, where do you
stand. However, after you meet more and more other interviewees, you will
have a big picture, and would be able make the right decision for yourself.
- For internal medicine program, they screen their candidates like a man
choose wife. Different program has different preferences. Overall, most of
them are looking for good personality, young and good looking candidates.
※ 来源:·WWW 未名空间站 海外: mitbbs.com 中国: mitbbs.cn·[FROM: 68.57.]