发信人: jjc (dogcat), 信区: MedicalCareer
标 题: Re: 老刀会归来
发信站: BBS 未名空间站 (Mon May 11 02:52:41 2009)
What a great meeting! Thank Laodao for giving us such a good chance for
Since I want to go psy, I talked to two psy Drs quite a bit. My take-home
1. Why psy? You must answer that question from your heart. Many people
think about psy because others said psy programs have less requirements
about scores and are kind of easy to get in. That's not true. If you just
use psy as back-up, people can easily find out that. Don't forget that
they are psy doctors who are really good at reading people's minds.
2. If you are really into psy, do a psy ob, match your passion with the
reality. In this way, you will find out whether psy is your cup of tea or
3. Being a psy Dr, you have to enjoy talking to people. For each new
patient, you will have a talk with them at least 1-1.5 hour.
4. Be a psy Dr, you are not only a good talker but also a good listener.
Oftentimes,you have to keep your mouth shut. You are the one offering help
if people want change. But the decision has to be made by patient himself.
5. psy Dr has a good life style. BUT the psy board exam is the most
difficult one among all the board exams. It's a oral exam. It's done in a
few big psy centers. You will get a real patient for half hour interview
and then present the case and answer questions from the committee. It
certainly can be biased by people. The passing rate is about 50%(I'm not
sure about the exact number but for sure it's much lower than the internal
Well, that's all I can think about at this point. I may add more later.
Thanks again, Laodao! And for all people I met in the meeting, it's so
good to meet you guys.
发信人: xiaomaguohe (麦地小马), 信区: MedicalCareer
标 题: Re: 老刀会归来
发信站: BBS 未名空间站 (Mon May 11 14:56:20 2009)
very good post. a few more points about psy:
1. during the residency, you will be trained with behavioral therapy modules
for different disorders, such as OCD, depression, etc.
2. the board certificate is not required for practice NOW, but you never
know what will happen in the future, some states start to require the
3.a good personality is good in any field. ppl with different personalities
can be good psy with professional training.
4. find yourself an American name may shorten the distance between you and