发信人: EcoRone (中坑), 信区: MedicalCareer
标 题: 转帖: my story of not getting matched
发信站: BBS 未名空间站 (Sat Mar 21 12:48:13 2009)
2006 graduate, 95, 97, cs passed, all in first attempt, had 5 nterviews..MPH
..some research experience..no publications yet..working on it..and no USCE.
.did not match..
tried for scramble..2 programs called..they said that they liked me..but
said they cant sponsor visa..its so...irritating..tired of this near misses
What do you think..My analysis for me not getting matched is this..I hope it
helps future applicants also..
1. Scores are not everything..they are very..very..tiny addition to your CV.
2. USCE is everything..
3. Programs actually read Personal Statements..I always thought my PS sucked
..but I had prepared it at last min cause when we were about to apply, I had
to evacuate due to a hurricane..
4. On the same note, I applied on Sep 8th..which is a very huge mistake..
everything should go on the first day..no matter what happens..
5. Get everything by September..Whatever you do later..is a waste..Programs
dont consider that..That I saw in my interviews..I built my CV mainly after
September..I dont think programs remembered me talking about my research and
6. Dont count NY programs on your rank list..you cannot trust them..They
interview too many people..you will be lost in the crowd unless you
personally know someone there..I had 4 NY interviews.
7. Dont trust any letters which come that say they ranked you high.
8. Scramble is a waste of time for the most part. They are mainly looking
for AMGs. I had 2 interviews..one today..can you imagine..they called me
today..and said..oh..so sorry we liked you but we dont offer visas
9. Life does not suck..cause life goes on..even if you dont get matched..and
you can expect bigger and better next year
10. NY programs want Step 3. Even if you have average scores with Step 3..
you are better placed than a person with good scores and no step 3.
11. When you see on the website that a program has certain criteria to apply
, If you dont meet the criteria, dont apply. Its a simple waste of money. I
had applied to a place like that, I knew that they dont accept people
without one year of clinical experience..I used to go there everyday to
morning reports and case conferences after getting permission. I spoke with
the PD. But finally, they just followed their criteria, they did not call me
for an interview. I think there will be lot of stories where this is not
true..but this is the rule..
The whole point of my lengthy discussion is ..Research your Programs..Dont
go blindly by the IMG friendly list available..thats what i did. I did not
apply to so many programs which were not on the list but were very IMG
friendly. By the way, i applied to 160 programs..some of which i regret now.
.Yale, Harvard..i did not realise that i was wasting 25 dollars everytime i
clicked on a program.
※ 来源:·WWW 未名空间站 海外: mitbbs.com 中国: mitbbs.cn·[FROM: 128.211.]