发信人: DrDaVinci (Da Vinci), 信区: MedicalCareer
标 题: Some tips for interview travel
发信站: BBS 未名空间站 (Wed Oct 22 10:45:53 2008)
1. Round trip tickets usually allow open jaw. So if you live in city A and
have interview in city B and C, and BC<AB & BC< AC, you can use multi-city
to book ticket A-B,C-A, the fare usually equals (x+y)/2, where x=AB
roundtrip and y=AC round.
2. Around Christermas and Thanksgiving, if you change you flight date one-
day eaearlier or later, the savings on air fare may more than one night's
3. When renting cars, if pick-up city and return city is different, it
usually cost more but not always. I had rented car from DC to JFK and it
didn't more than DC-DC or JFK-JFK. I suggest you to use expedia.com to try
4. When renting cars, if pick-up and return in same city but different
location, it usually doesn't cost more. For example, you can pick up at PHL
and return in Amtrak station.
5. If you drive between NYC and DC, you should expect traffic jams. Don't
believe the hours given in Google map.
6. I had taken Amtrak from NYC to DC and arrives DC three to four hours late
than schedule. Take express train if you are not cost sensitive.
7. Southwest airline is a good choice if you expect intinary change due to
new interviews. There is no panelty to change Southwest ticket. Be aware, it
is not very convenient from ISP to New York.
8. If you fly from/to JFK, EWR or LGA, be aware 80% chance of delay and 10%
chance of cancellation.
9. YMCA flushing is a good choice as interview hotel. It's safe and about 15
minutes walk to Flushing 7 line station. You can take taxi to Bronx.
10. It is a pain to drive in New York. Traffic jams, parking expense, and
high risk of getting a ticket. Be aware, in NYC, you cannot turn right at
red even though the road is clear.
※ 来源:·WWW 未名空间站 海外: mitbbs.com 中国: mitbbs.cn·[FROM: 71.65.]