USMedEdu 于 2008-08-04 10:53:15 提到][删除][修改] [FROM: 10.0.]
发信人: M1998 (MMM), 信区: MedicalCareer
标 题: Re: Re: 我是不是该继续战斗?尤其请妈妈门看过来.
发信站: BBS 未名空间站 (Sun Aug 3 14:06:07 2008)
From my experience, I do not think I will agree with this: \"我们放弃的，很可能是生命中最重要最本质的东西，如孝敬父母养育孩子享受人生，而得到的，反而可能是一些虚华的表面的东西，如名，利，还有所谓的成就感\".
If I really want to have big “如名，利\" I think I will be a “ sea turtle”. Most of my classmates working in the big Chinese hosp., now become Associate P, director, or even Professor, and having their own MS/PHD student.
Here, I am only an attending, and normal MD, the title I had after I finished my residency, and the same title I will have until my retirement, I assume. Since I am practice in a group, not in any academic facility, (like most US MD’s, just doing clinical work), I will never become a professor, or director, etc., so I would not become a big bull, and have a big “Name”, of course, no MS/PHd student.
I told my father all about this. He was a Professor and Department Director in his hospital, and was one of the editors for one of my medical textbook while I was study in the Chinese Med. School. He dose not feel sorry for me at all, although, we all know that I might have more achievement with those \"如名，利，还有所谓的成就感\" if I went back China after I graduated with PhD.
How come? Here are some of the examples:
1. from my father’s personal experience, he knows how much energy he wasted for all those non-clinical related issue during his career. He was not very good at it, me neither. Here, if I am not at the clinical/hosp., then I am with my family.
2. I enjoy the clinical work here. I only need to focus on the clinical things, I do not need to care about the patient financially situation, of course, I do not need to run after the patient and family directly for the money, (the billing dept. here doing it for me). I do not need to care about the rebate from the test or drug if I ordered, since I have no such thing here.
3. As a physician, I also get lots of help here, most of the time, just need to pick up the phone to talk, then it is done. Two days ago, one of my associate in the group admitted a patient around 5:00pm, I took over the case, 7 pm the STAT MRI of spinal showed acute T spinal cord compression, the radiologist called me, I called the neurosurgeon here, the family, and around 20:30, the patient was on the way to the top university Hosp. here for further treatment. Yeah, that was a very stressful two hours, I talked to at least ten persons, with physicians in my hospital, the univ. hosp., the family, but it was able to be done in just 2 hrs. if I said the patient is unstable, I need a helicopter for transfer, then I will get what I need, without talking to any other un-necessary persons.
4. My income is directly associated with my workload and reimbursements, so I do not need to argue with anybody. although I might still have some \"redeyes\" about other persons income, but at least I am okey with my own.
5. although I am a junior member in my group, I still have the same benefits, vacation time and same voice as other senior member. We are all independent physicians, which means I have huge responsibility and pressure, but also means, I do not need to check any other persons face.
Of course, to be a physician here still have to deal with lots of pressures, just like any other job/career, or maybe even worse, since we are dealing with people’s life. But if you have the passion and dream to be a physician, you might still enjoy this painful and stressful pathway. For the past + 10yrs, starting with taking the board, I did crying, but most time, I smiled, learned new things,and enjoying life, together with my family.
※ 来源:·WWW 未名空间站 海外: mitbbs.com 中国: mitbbs.cn·[FROM: 199.79.]